Asbestos is a big problem in any home—but how do you know if it’s even in your home? Take a look at this quick guide to identifying asbestos and knowing what to do when you find it.
Asbestos is a material that was used as an insulator in buildings for decades. Its use has been banned in the US since the side effects were discovered, but it’s still in older buildings.
Asbestos can cause a variety of lung diseases. The material is made of small fibers that you can inhale accidentally, and the fibers can irritate your lungs. This can result in scarred lung tissue if left untreated, or eventually become cancerous. This is why asbestos is so widely known as a dangerous substance. If you come into contact with it, let a doctor know before any problems develop.
A single exposure to asbestos is not likely to cause health problems. The danger lies in when you are around exposed asbestos for extended periods of time. Construction workers and people in manufacturing are more likely to be exposed than you are in your home, but the related diseases don’t discriminate.
Asbestos hasn’t been used in building houses since 1989, but many homes were constructed before then. If your house was built before 1989, you need to test your home for asbestos before undergoing any major home renovations. It’s very difficult to identify asbestos, as it can be mixed in with other types of insulation. Call a professional to find if asbestos is in your home and remove it.
If asbestos is in your home, you should have it removed as soon as possible to protect your health and your family’s health. Contact Atlantic Bay Contracting for professional asbestos abatement. Our services are certified by the EPA, DBE, and MBE. We want your home and your family to stay healthy.